July 11, 2002 - The Calm Before the Storm

What a wonderful time to be alive! Faye, Doug and I are staying in my Uncle Dwight's empty house in Phoenix, Arizona awaiting our move to Los Angeles at the end of the month. I start law school at Griffith Law School in the middle of August. One week ago today was the Fourth of July. We woke up that day in a tent with my mom, dad, Joe and Keith in Monterey, California. We drove to Sacramento and began the Braswell family reunion with hamburgers and fireworks. It was great to see everybody at the reunion. The more time passes, the more fortunate I feel for the family and extended family I have.

Except for a few things, the days ahead before we move to L.A. will be very relaxing and very rewarding in that I will spend every moment with Faye. I am so thankful for this month in limbo we have to just be together as a family having moved away from our home in Tucson, but not quite to our new life in Los Angeles.

On TV this morning I caught a replay of last night's ESPY awards from the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood, about a half mile from where we will be living in about a month. By far the most memorable and touching was the courage award given to Todd Beamer, Mark Bingham, Tom Burnett, and Jeremy Glick, the four members of United Flight 93 who, it is believed, saved the nation from more terror on the horror of September 11 by forcing the plane to crash in the western Pennsylvania countryside, preventing the terrorists from accomplishing their evil mission. I hope the actions and memory of those men will burn into the souls of all Americans, a reminder of the courage we all need to overcome the evil in the world. The night is darkening and the shadows creep in to envelop us. Let's roll. 

No comments:

Post a Comment